Green Grub & Fun
Cornwall is a beautiful and stunning place.
The choices you make on holiday can help to keep it that way. There are plenty of places to go and things to do that have minimal effects. Enjoy!
Locally sourced ingredients, organic or fairtrade... Fewer food miles, less chemicals, fair deal for producers. What more could you want? Try:
- Relish in Wadebridge - selling fairtrade tea & coffee
- Butchers Bistro in Newquay - 100% local produce
- Fifteen Cornwall in Watergate Bay near Newquay serving local, seasonal produce wherever possible and training local young people
- Bangors Organic Restaurant near Bude
- Tall Ships Creamery in Charlestown, near Carlyon Bay serving ice cream made with only the finest, freshest ingredients, locally sourced wherever possible
Less meat = better for the planet. Try:
- The Maharajah Indian Restaurant, Newquay - serving an extensive vegetarian and vegan menu
- The Mexican Cantina Restaurant, Newquay - serving an extensive vegetarian menu
- The Millers Pantry, The Old Mill, Boscastle - serving cuisine with an emphasis on vegetarian food
- The Cobweb Inn, Boscastle - vegetarian options available
- Wyldes Cafe, Tintagel - vegetarian, dairy- and wheat-free options
- King Arthur's Arms Inn, Tintagel - vegetarian options available
- Life's A Beach, Bude - vegetarian options available
- The Castle Restaurant, Bude - vegetarian options available
Farm shops and grocery deliveries
Buy straight from the producer - local, sustainable - green! Get your groceries delivered - even better! Try:
- Gluvian Farm, Mawgan Porth, near Newquay - organic, seasonal vegetables and lamb and beef
- Padstow Farm Shop - fresh, seasonal and locally sourced farm produce
- Killock Farm Shop, Kilkhampton, near Bude - their own/local seasonal vegetables, meats and fish, pasties, quiches & cakes from own bakery
- Trevilley Farm Shop, near Newquay - own beef, lamb, vegetables, turkeys, geese, duck eggs. Own jams, marmalades, chutneys, pickles, pasties, pies, quiches, sausage rolls, cake and much more
- St Austell Local Produce Market - every Saturday in St Austell
- Carruan Farm, Polzeath - livestock farm where you can tour the farm and buy their own and local produce
- Hilltop Farm Shop, near Camelford - fresh local meat and vegetables, daily baked bread and pasties, cream teas and light snacks
- Lobbs Farm Shop, near St Austell - own lamb, beef and vegetables, local pork and other produce
For grocery deliveries visit our food, chefs and hampers page.
For a whole heap of green and local activities visit Green Leisure. Activities include: Off-Road Driving, Archery, Birds of Prey, Camp Craft, Canoe Expeditions, Carriage Driving, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Climbing, Fishing, Geocaching, Laser Clay Shooting, Laser Combat, Laser Quest, Mountain Biking, Orienteering and Survival Skills. Kite surfing in the Camel Estuary.
What could be greener than walking? Enjoy Cornwall's beautiful countryside at your own pace. Or for a bit of variety or a bit more adrenaline(!) try canoeing or cycling. Visit our activities page.
An absolute must is The Eden Project. Probably one of the 'greenest' visitor attractions in the country, it's educational and fun.
Visit Newquay Zoo (discounts available with the Cornish Horizons Privilege Card). The zoo is constantly striving to improve the experience for both visitors and zoo inhabitants. With well established conservation and breeding programmes, plus a gold GTBS award, Newquay Zoo's commitment to the future of animal species and habitats is admirable.
Upper Tamar Lake near Bude (also a GTBS member) offers sailing, windsurfing and kayaking and visitors can have lessons, hire equipment or launch their own craft.
Why not take a tour round The Camel Valley vineyard - yes, we really do grow grapes in Britain! Situated between Wadebridge and Bodmin, they make their own wines, that are supplied to many restaurants in Cornwall.
Green stuff to buy
Buy a fantastic Cornish product online - Green Glass (based in Wadebridge) make glasses out of old bottles - recycling at its best.
- Cornish Sea Salt - salt produced in Cornwall and used by some of Britain's top chefs
- Rocket Garden - grow your very own organic herb garden
If you've been somewhere and think it deserves to go on the 'Green Grub and Fun' page, please let us know.
Visit the Green Horizons area on our website to find out more about green issues and the things you can do to help.