Star Grading Explained
We operate a star rating scheme under licence from Visit England, the National Tourist Board. Ratings are achieved primarily through the quality of the accommodation being provided. All aspects are scored 1 – 5, to reflect different quality levels, from “acceptable” to “excellent”. Most importantly, the 5 key areas of accommodation (i.e. living area, bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and cleanliness) all need to be of a consistent standard; whichever area’s score is lowest determines the overall rating.
This ensures that the standards you find are what you would expect. Which means you can relax, book with confidence and get on with the real business of having a fantastic break!
Simple, practical, no frills. Acceptable overall level of quality. Adequate provision of furniture, furnishings and fittings. A microwave is provided.
Well presented and well run. Good overall level of quality. All units self-contained. All beds full size.
Good level of quality and comfort. Good standard of maintenance and decoration. Ample space and good quality furniture. All double beds with access from both sides. Bed linen available.
Excellent overall level of quality. Very good care and attention to detail will be obvious throughout. Either access to washing machine, if not provided in the unit, or a 24 hour laundry service. Freezer. Bed linen provided within the rental price (towels available with or without extra charge).
Exceptional standard with a degree of luxury. High levels of décor, fixtures and fittings, together with excellent standards of management efficiency and guest services. Excellent range of accessories and personal touches. Dishwasher. Towels included within the rental price. Five of the following should also be included - tumble dryer, telephone, dvd/(video) player, sound/music system, docking station, games consoles, internet access/wi-fi, PC/laptop and printer for guest use, sauna (in unit), spa bath, hot tub (not shared), outdoor cooking facility, additional TVs in some/all bedrooms, extensive library/local reference materials, binoculars/telescope.
Gold Awards are given to properties that provide exceptional quality within their star grade.
In addition to specific furnishings and equipment specified in the individual property details, each cottage has the following items, in accordance with the minimum VisitEngland inventory, per person:
- Bowl - Cereal or soup
- Plate - large and small
- Egg cup
- Teacup and saucer
- Tumblers - large and small
- Wine glasses
- Knives - table and side
- Spoons - soup, dessert and tea
- Forks - table and dessert.
- Ashtrays - if smoking permitted
- Baking tray or tin
- Basic clothes drying facility - line or rack
- Biscuit or cake tin or storage container
- Bread board or chopping board
- Bread bin/Storage container
- Bread knife
- Butter dish
- Cafetiere or coffee maker
- Casserole dish with lid
- Carving knife and fork
- Cleaning agents including washing up liquid/dishwasher tablets - appropriate to equipment supplied
- Clothes pegs - at least 24
- Condiment set
- Corkscrew and bottle opener
- Cutlery box or drawer divider
- Dish cleaning cloths
- Door mat at exterior doors
- Drinking straws
- Dustpan and brush
- Fish slice
- Floor cloth and/or mop
- Frying pan
- Ice making tray
- Iron and ironing board
- Kettle - automatic electric
- Kitchen scissors
- Kitchen scales
- Laundry basket
- Measuring jug
- Milk jug
- Mixing bowl - large and small
- Non-stick utensils
- Oven cloth or mitts
- Oven roasting tray
- Pie dish
- Plastic outdoor set of plates, tumblers, etc.
- Potato masher
- Potato peeler
- Saucepans - large, medium, small with lids
- Two more saucepans if 8+ guests are accommodated
- Serving dishes x 4 (including salad and vegetable)
- Sharp knife selection (inc vegetable knife)
- Spare light bulbs
- Sugar basin
- Table cloth (or one place mat per person)
- Table spoon (a minimum of four)
- Tea towels with hooks, rail or suckers
- Tin opener
- Toast rack
- Toilet roll (for each WC)
- Vacuum cleaner
- Washing up bowl with brush or sponge
- Water jug
- Wooden / plastic mixing spoon